"Ilhéu de São Lourenço”, Mozambique is an islet situated between Ilha de Mozambique and Bela Vista. The first fort was erected by the Portuguese on this small coral outcrop off the southwestern tip of Mozambique Island between 1587 and 1589 and demolished again in 1595. The current Fortim de São Lourenço was begun in 1695 and completed in the first decade of the 18th century. It was equipped with 22 pieces of artillery and had the task of protecting the southern entrance to Mozambique harbor and to Mossuril Bay. During low tide, it is possible to walk out to the fort on a small strip of land. Sometimes, due to the wind on the bay, the waves pattern create the illusion that the islet is moving.