Angolan bioenergy company Biocom produced 50,000 tonnes of sugar in the three months from May to July this year, said Ricardo Guerra, the company’s director of agro-industrial operations.
The official also told the Angop news agency that, besides sugar, the company also produced 50,000 liters of ethanol and 2,500 megawatts of electricity.
Biocom’s sugar production is intended for the domestic market, electricity is supplied to the National Electricity Transmission Network and ethanol is supplied to the beverage and cleaning products industries.
Biocom currently has a planted area of 24,000 hectares of sugar cane, in the last agricultural campaign producing 73,000 tonnes of sugarcane and 17,000 cubic metres of ethanol.
Biocom, which is located in the Cacuso district, 75 kilometres from Malanje, is one of the largest Angolan agro-industrial projects, led by Brazilian group Odebrecht, which owns 40% of the capital of the company. The remaining 60% of the capital is shared by Angolan private-equity group Cochan, with 40% and Angolan state oil company Sonangol, with 20%.