Italian group ENI and other partners from the Rovuma basin Area 4 block, in northern Mozambique, will select a total of 800 young Mozambicans to undertake internships under the project known as Coral Sul FLNG, the group’s managing director said on Tuesday in Maputo.
Maurizio Lanzo, who was presenting a group of 19 young people recruited at Eduardo Mondlane University, recalled that the group gave 12 other young people the opportunity to benefit from an internship in South Korea.
The floating natural gas extraction and processing platform, better known as the Coral Sul FLNG, is being built in South Korea.
The platform, whose construction was awarded in May 2017 to a consortium formed by Samsung Heavy Industries, Technip of France and JGC of Japan, will be 439 metres long, 65 metres wide, have a draft of 38.5 metres and weigh 210,000 tonnes.
The Coral Sul project is the first project approved by the partners of the Area 4 block for the exploration of already discovered natural gas deposits, and production is expected to start in June 2022.
The Area 4 block’s partners are Mozambique Rovuma Ventures, a partnership owned by the ExxonMobil, ENI and China National Petroleum Corporation groups, which jointly control 70%, with the remaining 30% divided equally between Portuguese group Galp Energia, South Korea’s Kogas and the Mozambican state-owned Empresa Nacional de Hidrocarbonetos (ENH).