The Space-Tech Challenge 2020 will identify and develop the most promising new innovators, entrepreneurs and early-stage businesses across Africa.
The challenge is targeting downstream space-tech applications across agriculture, insurance, retail, sustainability and conservation.
- The set of applications which use earth observation, the gathering of information about the physical, chemical and biological systems of the planet via remote-sensing technologies
- There has been a surge in demand for these applications across a wide range of industries where they are driving cost reductions and sustainability. Space-tech has reached a point where almost every business can or does use it – often without even knowing
- The African space-tech sector is one of the fastest growing markets in the world, but it is still significantly underexploited. This represents a massive investment opportunity
- The African Union has identified earth observation as a key resource which must be leveraged in achieving Africa’s development goals
- One of the best ways to grow this sector is through an open innovation challenge
- To identify the most promising innovators, entrepreneurs and early-stage businesses across Africa and develop them into sustainable companies
- To develop Africa’s geospatial readiness so that African businesses can service African demand for geospatial intelligence
Top 10 participants receive
- Opportunity to showcase company to a global audience at GEO Week, an intergovernmental earth observation conference
- Media coverage and social media blasts through ZASpace and partners
- Industry links and market access through ZASpace and partners
- Screening for investment by Anza Capital
- 1-month business development support through the Research Institute for Innovation & Sustainability
- Opportunity to pitch company to judges and industry representatives during final pitching den
- Provision of ortho-ready satellite imagery from Maxar’s archive; 10x 25sqkm allocated per finalist up to the value of $75,250
- 4-month online incubation and virtual mentorship, and ongoing access to a peer-to-peer network through the TechTribe
- Winner: SecureWatch Premium 5GB valid for 3 months to the value of $12,500
- Second place & Third place: SecureWatch Premium 2GB valid for 3 months to the value of $5,000
- Opportunity to directly pitch your idea to a MAXAR representative.
For more information visit the SPACE-tech Challenge official website