A press release issued today (March 2nd) by the press office of Mozambican President Filipe Nyusi announce the exoneration of 6 ministers.
The document states that in accordance with the powers conferred to the head of state “by subparagraph a) of paragraph 2 of article 159 of the Constitution of the Republic of Mozambique“, the following ministers have been exonerated:
- Adriano Afonso Maleiane, Minister of Economy and Finance;
- Ernesto Max Elias Tonela, from the post of Minister of Mineral Resources and Energy;
- Carlos Alberto Fortes Mesquita, Minister of Industry and Commerce;
- João Osvaldo Machatine, Minister of Public Works, Housing and Water Resources;
- Augusta de Fátima Charifo Maita, from the post of Minister of the Sea, Interior, and Fisheries; e
- Carlos Jorge Siliya, from the post of Minister of Combatants.
Although according to previous exonerations, it is common for nominations to follow within 24 hours afterward, there are wide speculations that some of the names in the list may be nominated to different cabinets and remain in Nyusi’s government.