Plans are afoot to build two new universities, says Higher Education, Science and Innovation Minister, Dr Blade Nzimande.
This follows Cabinet’s approval for the establishment of the new University of Science and Innovation in Ekurhuleni and a new Crime Detection University in Hammanskraal in Gauteng.
Nzimande said the process of developing new universities is preceded by a feasibility study to ascertain the demand for new institutions in identified areas or areas of interest.
“A feasibility study, funded through the Infrastructure and Efficiency Grant (IEG) to the value of R6 million, is underway to advice on the size and shape of these two institutions,” Nzimande said.
The Minister also announced that there are plans to renovate existing facilities at Giyani in Limpopo province, which will be annexed to the Tshwane University of Technology, “should the feasibility studies support the usage of these facilities”.
To date, the following Reginal Multi-Purpose Centers have been initiated:
- Imbali Multi-Purpose Centre – the focus that includes both skilling (integration of Basic Education and PSET System), science and innovation, social services, library and other after hour-services. Accessibility to after hour-services, including business skills and Wi-Fi-connectivity. Leveraging of the uniqueness of the region; including manufacturing and leather sectors – a collaborative effort between government, business, labour and civil society;
- The establishment of an Ulundi satellite of the University of Zululand, as part of the District Development Model. The satellite university will leverage off the district’s strengths, including aviation; cultural heritage; indigenous knowledge systems including aloe processing; education and health;
- The establishment of the Giyani Multi-Purpose Centre, which will include infrastructure development, in addition to the above.
New infrastructure for TVET colleges
With regard to the Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) colleges, Nzimande said the process of establishing new colleges or college campuses is the same as that set out for universities.
Also read: Eco Atlantic rig bound for South Africa
The Minister said the department is currently implementing new infrastructure for TVET colleges, including the following:
- Msinga Campus of UMgungundlovu TVET College at Cwaka
- Greytown Campus of Umgungundlovu TVET College at Greytown
- Umzimkhulu Campus of Esayidi TVET College at Umzimkhulu
- Bhambanana Campus of Umfolozi TVET College at Bhambanana
- Nkandla A Campus of Umfolozi TVET College at Nkandla Town
- Nkandla B Campus of Umfolozi TVET College at Nkumgamathe
- Vryheid Engineering Campus of Mthashana TVET College at Vryheid
- Nongoma Campus of Mthashana TVET College at Nongoma
- Kwagqikasi Campus of Mthashana TVET College at Nongoma
- Giyani Campus of Letaba TVET College at Giyani
- Balfour Campus of Gert Sibande TVET College at Balfour
- Aliwal North Campus of Ikhala TVET College at Aliwal North
- Sterkspruit Campus TVET College of Ikhala at Sterkspruit
- Ngqungqushe Campus of Ingwe TVET College at Lusikisiki
- Graaff Reneitt Campus of East Cape Midlands at Graaff Reinet
- Thabazimbi Campus of Waterberg TVET College at Thabazimbi.